Joseph Pilates is the name of an individual who over 60 years ago recognized that core body strength is the foundation of all movement. He developed over 500 exercises that can be used to develop individualized exercise programs. People suffering from chronic back pain have benefited from finding their core and focusing on the specific development of the multifidus, transverse abdominus and oblique muscles that surround and support the spine. Athletes have found that core strengthening and stabilization improves their level of performance.
Each exercise is built around the concept of muscle control. There are no sloppy movements. All exercise is performed with the utmost control to avoid injury and produce positive results.
- Longer leaner body; low impact;
- Focuses on breathing;
- Abdominal strength and core stabilization;
- Balance and coordination;
- General fitness and body awareness;
- Injury prevention;
- Improvement of technique for athletes and dancers; and
- Remedial and rehabilitation work.